At least one (male) Least Bittern made several satisfying flight appearances at
the Cottonwood Hollow (Artist's Point pond) site this am. It flew N above the
easternmost cattails from the SE corner to about 1/3 of the way to the display
board from the S end at 8:30 am. A few minutes later, it flew N 20' or so
before dropping back into the cattails. At 9:30 I saw it, or another one,
flying N out over the center of the pond. It flew out of my view, which was
blocked by vegetation on the spit. I couldn't relocate it before leaving about
10 am.

This was the first time I've seen a least bittern since early birding days back
in Virginia in the 50's. They were common in the Dyke Marsh along the Potomac
River S of Alexandria, VA at that time.

Thanks to all those who reported least bitterns there, encouraging me to try
for them.

Larry Griffin
Ft. Collins