As I noted in my earlier post, one of the sparrows in the group of
Rufous-crowned Sparrows was quite dull and with indistinct markings.  It
showed a reduced amount of rufous/rusty coloration on it's crown (but with a
definite black outline next to the rufous/rusty), grayish/brownish
supercilium, grayish/buffy underparts (one photo shows some short streaks on
the underparts), brownish (light rusty?) post-ocular stripe, some white
submoustachial stripe,  but with only a hint of a malar stripe and an
indistinct eye-ring.

Though I have followed the Tunnel Drive Rufous-crowned Sparrows since they
were discovered about 10 years ago, I usually don't get the opportunity to
view field marks closely as in the photos I got yesterday.  And I have only
photographed adult birds in Texas so I don't have experience with sub-adult
plumage variations and I would appreciate any observations by anyone with
that experience.    I have now uploaded photos of this bird onto my blog at
http://BirdsAndNature.blogspot.com <http://birdsandnature.blogspot.com/>
and a discussion of why I suspect this is a sub-adult Rufous-crowned Sparrow
possibly transitioning from juvenal to first fall/Basic I plumage.

I forgot to mention in my earlier post that a canyon wren sang while I
watched the Rufous-crowned Sparrows and a Rock Wren called and foraged
nearby.  Rock Wrens often winter here and in some winters a Canyon Wren also
does.

SeEtta Moss
Canon City
http://BirdsAndNature.blogspot.com