I obviously missed Dave Leatherman at Last Chance. I did not get out there till
latter in the day.

Birds seen near the pond :

1, Gray Catbird

1, immature White-throated Sparrow

1, late f. Common Yellowthroat

1, late gorgeous preening Hermit Thrush, in the total open

1, Orange-crowned Warbler

1, Northern Flicker

2, Yellow-rumped Warbler

1, f. Spotted Towhee. This female bird looked just like the f. Pacific
Northwest birds I've seen in Oregon, with very little white spotting on the
wings. Is this little amount of white spotting on the wings typical or not in
the Great Plains? The head of this f. Towhee was not gray brown. It was the
same color brown as the mantle. I know the amount of white spotting can vary
alot within the Great Plains birds.

I did not see the Field Sparrow, unfortunately.

On the other side of the intersection near the old motel were : At highway 71 &
36

3 Red-tailed Hawks, 2 juvenile, 1 ad.

12, White-crowned Sparrow , 2 ad.,10 immature

1, Song Sparrow

5, Tree Sparrow

10, House Finch

5, American Robin

about 15 Dark-eyed Junco. I saw no White-winged. The 15 were Slate-colored,
Oregon, and Pink-sided.

3, Yellow-rumped Warbler

1, Northern Mockingbird

Many of the above Juncos and White-crowned Sparrows were feeding on seeds of
non-native prostrate knotweed[Polygonum aviculare], non-native, Foxtail
Grass[Setaria], and seeds of non-native Kochia[yes a very noxious weed].Kochia
is also called tumbleweed and found along fences along some highways. I have
seen Chipping Sparrows feed also on the above weeds. Many seeds of the
Goosefoot family, Amaranth family, and obviously Aster family are fed on by
songbirds. SO, even though I am allergic to the pollen of some of the above
plants, at least they are used by some birds and some small mammals

Happy Birding!

Tina Jones

Littleton, Jefferson County, CO