A juvenile Sharp-shinned Hawk was successful in nabbing an Eurasian
Collared-Dove in my yard yesterday. He was in hot pursuit chasing the
bird straight toward the glass door I was standing at. The dove hit
the door hard and fell to the patio where the sharpie pounced. It was
touch and go for about 5 minutes as the dove was bigger than the
sharpie and kept trying to escape. Long story short, it didn't and
the hawk had a big meal. It left the dove on a horizontal branch in
my russian olive trees. I checked the carcass and their was half the
breast left on the dove. I dropped it over the fence.

Well this morning the sharpie was back - looking for the rest of his
meal! It searched for about 10 minutes even sitting on the fence so
it would have seen the bird had it still been there. I thought that
this was very interesting. It checked the branch where it left the
dove several times, appearing certain of where it had left it!.  I
wish I had not moved it.

Connie.

Connie Kogler
Twitter @lefthanddbirder