Loch Kilpatrick and I risked freezing to death from about 1:00 p.m. until 2:00
today at 63rd and St. Vrain River. We had a Winter Wren at about 1:30 for about
ten minutes along the creek north of the bridge. The bird was moving our way,
but decided to turn back and out of sight to the northwest before it got close
enough for good looks. It was silent. We couldn't see any detail to determine
if it was eastern or western. Loch took a few photos, but he wasn't optimistic
about the quality. I'm hoping when he gets home that he'll at least be able to
see if it had a dark throat or a light throat.
On my meandering way home, I found out that Boulder lakes and reservoirs are
largely frozen. It will become more so tonight, so Valmont Reservoir may get
interesting. I had a juvenile or subadult Bald Eagle at Lagerman Reservoir (in
at tree to the north of the reservoir where Bald Eagles have been hanging out
for years). I also had my FOS Ferruginous Hawk north of Niwot Road at Fairways
Drive. At home today, I had 4 Cassin's Finches and all the Dark-eyed Junco
forms that occur in Colorado.
David Waltman
Boulder

--