Cobirds:

    I agree with Cecile Lee that the winter wren that's recently been hanging
around the dry irrigation ditch at Fountain Creek Nature Center is the eastern
subspecies. I also had excellent looks at it on December 17th and heard it call
briefly. It's quite light from under the chin, down into the lower breast area
with a reddish tail, etc. All I heard it "say" was "chip chip chip chip chip"
or maybe "cheep cheep cheep cheep cheep". But since pitches are lowered through
my Songfinder, what I heard may have been distorted. I was quite thrilled to
pin down this bird as I hadn't the foggiest WHICH subspecies I'd formerly seen
in Colorado--though I've got the Pacificus well squared away from the west
coast.  Now I will have another lifer safely under my belt when the split
comes. I don't expect to push my luck far enough to list the Pacificus in
Colorado though! But it would be an interesting comparison. . .