Tina Jones and I ventured down to see the Snowy Owl late this morning and
were not disappointed.  Thanks to Larry Modesitt's excellent directions, we
were able to immediately locate the owl and small group of people (including
Mary Burger, Edie (?) from Boulder) watching the owl from Mckissick Rd. in
the same subdivision as it has frequented for several days.  Turn left onto
Hwy. 24 at the Elbert Rd./Hwy. 24 intersection and take the first right
(east) on Scott Rd.  After a short way, Scott Rd. turns sharply to the right
and becomes Mckissick Rd.  After the turn, we could see a group of people
about 1/2 mi. farther down the road all looking west.  When we got there, we
could see the incredibly beautiful owl perched on the roof of a garage
(about 75 yds away-- really not far) where he stayed for entire the time we
were there (noon to 1:15 pm).  Other birders from Colo. Springs said he had
been there at least since 8 am.  While we were watching, the owl alternately
preened, stretched, yawned once, and slept, indicating he was fairly
relaxed!  He even ignored (or didn't see or was full) a rabbit that ran
below him.

This owl is so incredibly white!

Paula Hansley
Louisville