Hello, Birders.

Walden Ponds, Boulder County, was nice and birdy early this Sunday morning,
August 22nd.

The first bird I saw, as I turned in from 75th Street, was a Peregrine Falcon
flying east just above the treetops.

Notable landbird migrants included a Northern Waterthrush and an Indigo
Bunting. (I don't think Indigo Buntings breed at Walden Ponds; in Boulder
County, they're more of a foothills breeder.)

Other landbirds included 7 Western Wood-Pewees, 3 Eastern Kingbirds, 1 Western
Warbling-Vireo, 3 Bank Swallows still hanging on, 1 Gray Catbird, 3 Brewer's
Sparrows, 1 Black-headed Grosbeak, and 1 Pheucticus sp. Yellow Warblers and
Common Yellowthroats were widespread; I heard flight calls from both species,
so I think some of these were birds on passage, not local breeders.

Aquatic species included 2 Wood Ducks, 3 Green Herons, and 1 Sora.

Ted Floyd
Editor, Birding

Follow Birding magazine on Twitter: http://twitter.com/BirdingMagazine