I found an adult Lewis's Woodpecker with several young in juvenal plumage
near Canon City on Aug 13 hopping and flying around a cottonwood which has
been a nest tree for this species for several years. However they flew
across the river before I could observe if there were fledglings still being
fed.  I refound the family over the week-end only about 200 feet from the
tree where I first saw them and the young were busy foraging for
themselves.  I got still pics and some video that I have posted to my
BirdsAndNature <http://BirdsAndNature.blogspot.com> blog.  One video clip
shows one of the juveniles with an insect in it's beak at the top of a
snag.  It is either pushing the insect into the crevices of the snag or
instead pushing it's beak in to get more insects--I can't tell which.  *Birds
of North America *online states that this species does cache acorns but says
nothing of caching insects.  It also says they will gleen for insects on
snags--so it could be doing either behavior.

I recently posted some video and still pics of the immature male Barrow's
Goldeneye that remains near Canon City on Arkansas River.  I am suspecting
that it is not capable of flight due to molt status but fortunately it is
located in a relatively safe part of the river where there is an island and
attached gravel bar where it hangs out.  He stretches and grooms in the
video clips providing nice views of his plumage.   It is also interesting to
see his head profile seemingly change as he comes up with wet plumage
pressing the feathers down.  Though they are known for diving for their
food, this bird spends a lot of time feeding in shallow water (inches deep)
which is shown in the video clips.  I wonder if it's molting status
interferes with diving behavior?  He also demonstrates his youthful
developing coordination as he falls off a rock on which he is perched due to
losing his balance while exercising his wings--also shown in a video clip.

Only one of the probable hybrid BlackXEastern phoebe juveniles remains near
the location where the nest site is in the Canon City area.   Tonight I did
see a second juvenile phoebe about 1/4 mile downstream of the nest location
and speculate that this is the other juvenile that had remained near the
nest until a few days ago.

I also posted a link on my blog to Ted Eubank's latest insightful and
inciteful (as in 'The desire to incite or provoke people or things to
action") essay that challenges old ways of birding.

SeEtta Moss
Canon City
http://BirdsAndNature.blogspot.com