Between 100 million and a billion birds die each year due to collisions with windows and other glass in homes and commercial buildings. These deaths are a major factor in the dwindling number of wild birds in America.

Birds can’t see glass. During the day, they see things reflected in glass, like trees and sky, or an apparent passage through a building when two windows are opposite each other. Many birds migrate at night. They can become disoriented by lighted windows in tall buildings and crash into them.

Here in Colorado, many office buildings managers have agreed to turn off their lights at night during migration. This is a great help, but many deaths also occur with residential glass at any time of year, especially around bird feeders.

The good news is that you can help reduce this tragic loss of life. To learn how, go to http://flap.org/prevent.htm.

This message is from the Safe Skies program and the Conservation Committee of the Audubon Society of Denver

(NOT TO BE PART OF THE MESSAGE: This message is submitted by Nancy Stocker, 2885 S Gilpin Street, Denver, CO 80210, 303-759-4056; this is a second submission, as the first one did not appear. My inquiry indicated I should include more information about the source of the message. Polly is the head of the ASGD Conservation Committee, and Joe is the originator/leader of the Safe Skies program here in Denver. Both have encouraged me to submit this message.)