In the midst of running errands, I took a few minutes to stop at the Red Rocks feeders just after 1 this afternoon. When I arrived, there were lots of juncos under the east platform feeder, but no birds on the west side. I cleared some areas and scattered some seed, and the birds came in droves. I took my broom, snow shovel, and bird seed back to the car, and when I returned -Rosy-Finches -. There was a flock of 10-20 and they came to the feeders on both the east and west sides. The majority were Gray-crowned with a few Brown-capped. I saw one Gray-cheeked (Hepburn's) and one first winter Black Rosy-Finch. I expect the Rosy-Finches will stay thru tomorrow with the cold and snow cover, but once it warms up and there is bare ground, they will probably vacate the Red Rocks area. This is a great chance to see Rosy-Finches up close. I will go to Red Rocks early tomorrow morning and make sure there is plenty of seed on the ground and in the feeders.

I only stayed a few minutes, but both White-throated Sparrows appeared together. Probably just a matter of time(which I don't have today) before the Curve-billed Thrasher, Harris's, and Golden-crowned made a showing. Bob Schade was there when I left, and he will report on the other birds.

Mike Henwood
Red Rocks - Jefferson County
Morrison