Hi Cobirders,

Heather Riley of Durango recently posted a question about how Rare Bird Alert
listings were determined and I think that my reply to her might be of interest
to other COBirds subscribers who are not familiar with the process and the
relationships between the various organizations.  My reply follows:

"I can give you at least a partial reply.  If you go to the CFO website and
click on Records Committee and then State Review List you will find the list
that you are seeking.  Summer Tanager is on that list (without being
capitalized and without an asterisk) and the RBA sponsoring organizations - DFO
and RMBO - usually do post such sightings.  This review list is periodically
updated by the Colorado Bird Records Committee (CBRC) which is part of CFO.  In
addition COBirds is sponsored by CFO for the benefit of all Colorado birders
and we are pleased that other Colorado birding organizations like DFO and RMBO
use it as an important means of communication among Colorado birders.

Also, you'll note the absence of an asterisk indicates that some species may
not be listed on the RBA as they are 'common' in some parts of the state.  SUTA
is fairly regular in the eastern part of the state which is probably why it was
not listed.  However, as you know, SUTA is a very good bird for SW Colorado and
it will definitely be included in my seasonal report for southwestern Colorado."

I also want to thank DFO and RMBO for sponsoring the RBA, which is a valuable
service to Colorado birders.  In addition Joyce Takamine, who is the primary
compiler, does a wonderful job of posting this list daily - a very big job!
And you may have already noticed, it is usually posted at 5 AM!  I'm usually
still in bed at that hour.

Jim Beatty