I saw three unusual species for Grandview Cemetery (Fort Collins, Larimer
County) today in the span of about two minutes - in my imagination.  Here's the
story I must tell on myself.  Walking along about 11am a "jay" sound came from
the top of a spruce, but it wasn't the expected Blue Jay.  "Steller's Jay", I
immediately muttered, then mentally reconsidered this familiar sound out of
context.  "No, Western Scrub-Jay!  Not sure if I've ever seen one of those
here.  Cool."  I looked and looked.  I spished.  Nothing.  I looked around.  In
the very top of a nearby spruce was a dark bird.  "That's a grackle, just can't
see the tail.  Haven't seen one of those in the cemetery in about a month and a
half."  More searching of the tree where the sound came from.  Nothing.  A
recheck of the "grackle" from a different angle (but still fairly far off)
showed some maroon-purplish glints off the throat/head area.  "That's not a
grackle, that's a Lewis's Woodpecker!"  I've only seen one of those in the
cemetery, over 20 years ago.  Gotta get a picture."   After retrieving my
camera, I fired off a few distant pics, and walked closer.  "What!?  That's a
starling!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

I think I'm a decent birder.  But in a very short span, under the influence of
knowing early fall dispersal is imminent and/or on-going, any jay is possible
on the eastern plains in late summer-autumn, woodpeckers sometimes chowder
bumper cone crops, distance, less than ideal light conditions, age, and
probably a lack of my morning Mountain Dew, I called a damn European Starling
FOUR other species before coming to a sane determination.  Immediately after
mentally uttering these four IDs, I would have bet a reasonable amount (two
cases of Mountain Dew or, say, $100) that I was right.  Other factors that
weighed into this: I have been visiting the cemetery in recent days in late
afternoon/early evening and, unbelievably, starlings have not been on my list
for weeks.  Starling, at least this morning, was NOT a species I considered
likely.  Yesterday I saw my first fall migrant (excepting a few Chipping
Sparrows and Nighthawks that probably did not spend the summer at Grandview), a
very whitish, young-of-the-year Yellow Warbler.  Mentally I was geared for the
unexpected, like empids, or pewees, or Townsend's Warbler.  Or jays and
woodpeckers.  Many of you are saying to yourselves at this moment, "Dave, admit
it, you've been wandering around alone in the cemetery too long."  That's not
it.

So, be forewarned and take what I say on this listserv with a grain of salt.

That said, the Broad-tailed Hummingbird nest I've been watching since 21July
(when two young nestlings were being attended by an adult female) is now empty.
 The young fledged successfully last weekend (August 6-7).  At least one
youngster is still present high in a spruce near the nest site, and is visited
on a regular basis by the female.  Interestingly, this young hummer makes a
high-pitched chirp very reminiscent of a sparrow, or even Cordilleran
Flycatcher.  Even though the BNA account say nothing about juvenile sounds, I
know this bird is making the sound because its mouth opens coincident with the
chirp (and it's not a starling).

Cool non-bird stuff of late: mule deer munching rose shoots with absolutely no
fear of thorns; pelecinid wasps (check them out on-line) flying everywhere; a
virtual explosion of several dragonfly species hunting off the shrubs and
cruising the airspace.  Lots more, but in the spirit of a bird
listserv.............

Dave Leatherman
Fort Collins