Not being able to go birding for 3 days had resulted in withdrawal symptoms
that I just couldn't take so this evening I drove out to a few place near
Canon City just to see if anything was around.  As I restricted from putting
by eyes directly into binoculars and spotting scope, I found that one could
see pretty well (at least better than with bare eyes) by keeping my eyes
back just outside the eyecup.  This afforded me the opportunity to view the
*Picoides *woodpecker, that's call was a little different, and find it was a
male Ladder-backed Woodpecker working some tree cholla then some junipers in
the Williamsburg area (just sw of Canon City).  I have never seen one in
this area but this species is spread thinly across areas from just sw of
Canon City to near Penrose.   Couldn't gtet a photo as I left my dslr camera
at home (to reduce temptation to put my eye in it's eyecup, very
frustrating).  Also heard some Scaled Quail but they are not as uncommon in
similar habitat.

Close to dark I spotted a female/imm Common Merganser on the Arkansas
River.  It was close to where I found one last week and very, very shy so
expect this is the same one I previously reported.  Two Common Nighthawks
worked near the river presumably migrating through.

SeEtta Moss
Canon City (where the birding is hot year-round)
personal blog @http://BirdsAndNature.blogspot.com
now blogging for *Birds and Blooms* magazine @BirdsandBlooms
blog/southcentral region<http://birdsandbloomsblog.com/category/southcentral/>