Greetings All,

Today Tim Smart and I ventured to Pueblo to ring in the New Year. Rather than
splurging on diversity, we focused on intently birding the reservoir, Valco
Ponds, and Pueblo City Park.

At Pueblo City Park, with the Mallards and wigeon, was a male MEXICAN DUCK, or
a bird that seems to fit the definition of such. I first noticed it both
because it was darker than the female Mallards (reminded me of the color of a
Mallard x Am Black Duck) and the sharp contrast between the dark body and the
pale neck/head. The head has a very dark cap and eyeline. The bill is entirely
yellow, excepting a black nail. More importantly, the tail has absolutely no
white and the borders to the speculum were conspicuously narrower than those of
the surrounding Mallards. The underparts were fairly uniform, but slightly
paler, centrally, near legs, and slightly darker on chest, which per Pyle's
tome, is okay for Mexican Duck. The speculum was also a slightly different
color... a paler, or perhaps less purple, blue than that of the Mallards, a
difference I noted on this May's Mexican Ducks.

The gull tally at the S Marina of Pueblo Res at sunset included:
1600 Ring-billed Gulls
101 Herring Gulls (about 90-95% adults)
12 Thayer's Gulls (11 adults, 1 2nd year)
2 Lesser BB Gulls (both 1st cycle)
2 Glaucous Gulls (both 1st or 2nd cycle)
2 Greater Black-backed Gulls (both adults)

The number of Herring and Thayer's Gulls was likely an underestimate, perhaps
substantially so.

There were some impressive numbers of birds on the reservoir, though nada rare
such as a scoter or loon. The most impressive totals were:
1575 Common Goldeneye
335 Eared Grebes

At Valco Ponds, there was a RUSTY BLACKBIRD and a BLACK-LORED WC SPARROW.
Between Valco and the adjacent Rock Canyon area, we had a total of 222
White-crowned Sparrows. Amazingly, we could not find a White-throated nor a
Harris's Sparrow among 'em.

Good Birding,
Steven Mlodinow