This afternoon between 2:00 and 2:45p.m, a large group of birders (10 -15), were able to watch the Greater Roadrunner as the bird traveled from just below the first exhibit area to the top of the hill on the west side of Dinosaur Ridge. This is the same area the bird has been seen using this last week. At times the bird was only 20 yards above the road, while other times the bird was halfway up the hillside as it traversed the west facing slope soaking up the sun and staying out of the wind.

Some of the behaviors observed: At times the bird turned its back briefly to the sun and did some sun-basking. The Roadrunner moved steadily along the hillside sometimes moving down toward the road and then moving back up the hillside on a diagonal path as it walked up the hill parallel to the road. The bird seemed to be feeding on insects??? As it walked along the bird sometimes veered off course to stab at something on a rock surface or stab at something in a tuft of grass. We never could see exactly what the bird stabbed at, so it was something on the small side (like a bug or insect). The bird never stopped to feed in one place, but stabbed at various things as it walked along. Observing the bird meander up and down the hillside gave me the impression it was hunting as it looked this way and that and sometimes cocked its head. Once we saw the bird fly diagonally down the hill 20-30 yards before continuing to walk diagonally up the hill.

Many thanks to the lady that came and got Rob Raker and myself out of the parking lot. Rob and I stayed the whole time and watched the Roadrunner make it's way all the way up the hillside and over the top of the ridge. Others joining the group included Mark Chavez, Ira Saunders, Art Hudak, a photographer acquaintance of Rob's, and numerous other observers at various times. A most enjoyable experience!

Mike Henwood
Morrison
Jefferson County