I hope that this strategy will provide a good survey of the declining
numbers of Lesser Prairie-Chickens in southeast Colorado.  Please be aware
that the public lek on the Comanche National Grassland near Campo, Colo
remains closed to reduce stress on this already highly stressed species.
SeEtta

<*Prairie-chicken flights planned in SE Colorado*

LAMAR, Colo. - Biologists with Western EcoSystem Technology, Inc. (WEST,
Inc.) are working with Colorado Parks and Wildlife and four other state
wildlife agencies to conduct low-elevation helicopter flights that will
develop a range-wide, multi-state estimate of lesser prairie-chicken
populations. The surveys are part of a collaborative effort by Colorado,
Oklahoma, Kansas, New Mexico and Texas to keep the lesser prairie-chicken
off the federal Endangered Species List.

"While Colorado has only a small portion of the lesser prairie-chicken
range, we understand the key role that we play in assessing the bird's
overall health," said Mike King, Director of the Colorado Department of
Natural Resources. "Our goal is to make sure that sufficient data exists to
work with local partners and recover these birds. By working with private
landowners and communities, we can recover the birds and try to prevent the
need for a federal listing."

Local landowners in Baca, Prowers, Cheyenne and Kiowa counties are advised
that low-elevation helicopter flights may occur between Sunday, April 1 and
Saturday, April 7.

"Helicopter flights have proven an efficient means to survey large areas
for this type of population estimate," said Brian Dreher, Senior
Terrestrial Biologist for the southeast region of Colorado Parks and
Wildlife. "The work should be quick and landowners shouldn't experience any
disruption to their regular activities."

While Colorado's survey work is limited to small areas of the four
counties, crews are also working to survey much of the entire state of
Kansas and large portions of Oklahoma. Those states are home to the core
populations of the lesser prairie-chicken.

The lesser prairie-chicken (*Tympanuchus pallidicintus)* is a prairie
grouse species that is found in the sandy, short grass, prairie regions of
Kansas, Oklahoma, New Mexico, Texas and Colorado. It is slightly smaller
than its cousin, the greater prairie-chicken. Like sage-grouse, both
species of prairie-chicken are known and popular among birders for their
elaborate dancing and drumming behavior around breeding areas, commonly
called leks. The bird is listed by the state of Colorado as a threatened
species and is a candidate species for federal listing under the Endangered
Species Act.

Landowners with questions about the birds or the flights can contact Travis
Black, Area Wildlife Manager for Colorado Parks and Wildlife in Lamar at
719-336-6600 or Brian Dreher, Senior Terrestrial Biologist for Colorado
Parks and Wildlife in Colorado Springs at 719-227-5220>

--------

SeEtta Moss

Canon City
Blogging for Birds and Blooms magazine @