of Greater Sage-Grouse we stumbled across  one morning along County Road
34. This is south of Walden
and described well in the CFO county birding website, under Jackson County,
#3 "Hebron Waterfowl Area."

Seeing these 17 grouse loafing on the road for about 15 minutes and then
taking flight like a task force
of heavy bombers was quite a thrill! Each weighs about 4-5 pounds! At first
we thought
that this might be a family group, but they were all the same sex and age
and too big for young of the year
(on June 16).  So I next thought that they must be post-breeding males, a
sort of "guys hanging out at the pool
hall" kind of thing. I'd like others opinions or information. Field guides
describe males as having black throats
and bibs," quite a contrast to these birds white throats.  If these are
males, they must change quite a bit as
their androgens wane in early summer.
I have only see Greater Sage-Grouse on spring leks, at a greater distance,
DARK in the morning, and that was in the previous century, etc, so this was
great fun!
Come to think of it, the only things that *male* sage grouse do from June
on is hang out, try not to be eaten and stay alive long enough to dance
half-heartedly in the fall, then make it through the tough winters and
dance "for reals" at the lek and maybe copulate if they are lucky. Then
there is a lot more down time.
(One of my favorite bird words, is "lek," which I was told means
"playground" in some Scandinavian language).

Joe Roller, Denver