Hi

Currently there is a lot of water and shore bird activity at Barr Lake,
although nothing that would qualify  for the rare bird alert that I could see.

I started at 6:30 this morning, the great eastern sun was just rising and the
light across the lake for birding couldn't have been better, crystal clear, no
heat waves, just perfect.  One could walk along the shore for close studies of
Baird's Sandpipers, studying the plumage differences between the adult and
juvenile. Incidentally the Baird's was one of the last sandpipers to be
described for science in 1861 by Elliott Coues from an overlooked specimen from
the Kennicott, Great Slave Lake collection. Spotted sandpipers with downy young
were darting in and out of the smart weed, the chicks were teetering just like
the parents do. One of the protruding sandbars was packed with White Pelicans,
but off to one end was one pelican posed exactly like the stance Audubon chose
for his dramatic painting, with its bill parallel to the ground, the expression
of the eye creating this goofy-like facial expression. There were a variety of
dabbling ducks as well as Ruddy Ducks still in breeding plumage. Forester's
Terns were  perched near a Great Egret. Many Barn and few Bank Swallows
overhead, One arial Upland Sandpiper was calling while heading south. There was
a slight difference in the assortment and abundance of birds from birding Barr
Lake with Vic Zerbi on Friday to now, so migration is definitely on, every day
will be different. Oh, by the way, bad luck, I missed the Royal Tern again.

Bob Righter
Denver, CO

Sent from my iPad