Lisa and I did a morning trip to the Monte Refuge and Home Lake. Most ducks are
in with Canvasback, Bufflehead and Lesser Scaup around. The Yellow-headed
Blackbirds (or Black-bodied Yellow Birds as a friend used to say) are in with
Marsh Wrens now singing in the cattails. Most wetlands have open water. Home
Lake had Greater Yellowlegs and 1 Long-billed Dowitcher and a male Bluewinged
Teal which is a tad early here. In between driving sideways snow, we generally
saw birds from the comforts of the auto! A friend reported seeing a Red-tailed
Hawk capture one of “his” garter snakes the other day.

In the foothills, there is a morning drumming session going on daily now with
the Williamson’s Sapsucker rattling out their rhythms. Vesper Sparrows are here
on time and Western Bluebirds have been brilliant to the sight. Lots changing
daily and a joy always to be out there with the birds.

John R