At 0900 today, while it was still snowing and the majority of my grass was covered in white, a small hummingbird looked at two of my hum feeders, and left. They were both iced over and snowed over. I removed the ice and warmed them with water, and thought that the hummer had headed south. But at 1100, he was back to eat. It is an imm male black-chinned; he just returned for more food as I write. I should note that I had an imm ruby-thr here on the morning of 9/19...the exact day that others on the front range reported them. I had meetings from late morning until near dusk; at dusk I caught sight of a small hummer, but could not identify it due to short viewing time and poor light. I was gone all day Friday and Saturday, and had not seen any hummingbird until today. So...for those of you who have feeders stored already...put them back up, and keep them somewhat warm. And, esp for Tina Jones, but also others...does anyone else have a hummingbird today? Side note...on 9/21, just before leaving, I looked out at a house wren on the other side of my yard (hoping for a winter, which it wasn't); but I was suddenly rewarded as a rock wren ran across my porch.
Karl Stecher
Centennial, Arapahoe, near Colo Blvd ad Orchard