Hello, Birders.
Earlier this week I received in the mail vol. 48, no. 1 (Winter 2014) of
COLORADO BIRDS, the quarterly journal of Colorado Field Ornithologists. It's
wonderful! Let's take a look:
* Front cover. A frame-filler Hoary Redpoll by Bill Schmoker. Beautiful! The
photo, that is... ;-)
* Back cover. Immature Broad-winged and Red-shouldered hawks by Glenn Walbek
and Tony Leukering. Which brings us to...
* In the Scope, pp. 78-80. An article by Tony Leukering on separating juvenile
Broad-winged and Red-shouldered hawks, definitely an ID conundrum for us in
Colorado. Tony is a nationally renowned expert on bird ID and distribution, and
it's awesome that he contributes regularly to Colorado Birds.
* Caterpillar Tricks, Part 2, pp. 72-77. In the first eight words of this
article by the incomparable Dave Leatherman, we encounter the words "eggplant,
"India," "Pale," and "Ale." The last six words of the article are "Like frass
and copulation, trickery happens." If you miss this article, your life is
woefully incomplete.
* Birding on the Dark Side, pp. 65-71, by Yours Truly. The summer doldrums in
the dead of night...It's an excellent time to go birding! I heard owls,
sandpipers, sparrows, thrushes, and more. The astronomy and human companions
were splendid too.
* "A Century of Waterbird Population Trends in Boulder County, Colorado," pp.
11-41. In this major research paper, Jameson F. Chace and coauthors document
human impacts on ducks, cormorants, grebes, coots, and even Willow Flycatchers.
And much more: a book review by Bob Righter; Mike Henwood's thorough summary of
June-July 2013 bird records for Colorado; an essay, also by Mike Henwood, on
the famous Brambling of November 2012; trip announcements and trip reports; CFO
business and a message from CFO President Bill Kaempfer; and even photos and
bios of all the authors.
I'm grateful to Editor Peter Burke for this educational and fun issue of
Colorado Birds.
All members of CFO receive Colorado Birds. Join CFO here:
http://cfobirds.org/business/contribute.php
Ted Floyd
Lafayette, Boulder County, Colorado