If you don't have Lapland Longspurs for the year, today was the time to get
them along the DIA Owl Loop.  I would list all of the spots, but there were
too many.  Everywhere along the route starting 1/2 mile east of Tower Rd on
96th Ave to 120th Ave just west of Haynesmount.  Almost every single flock
of Horned Larks contained some longspurs in it, whether the flock was 100
or more birds or just two dozen.  I backtracked from there, so I'm sure
there are more flocks of birds on the other roads out there and all around.

For those that have no interest in tiny birds, there were also the usual
assortment of wintering raptors; American Kestrel, Red-tailed Hawk,
Northern Harrier, Rough-legged Hawk, Ferruginous Hawk, and Bald Eagle.

At one point, I just stopped to watch the action in two Cottonwood trees
that were close together.  In one, there was two adult Bald Eagles.  The
other tree trunk and branches looked a bit like a lava lamp.  The
Red-winged Blackbirds were swarming and moving up and down and around it.
 It was rather mesmerizing.

John Breitsch
Denver, Colorado
http://www.flickr.com/photos/breitschbirding/