Hi Birders,

If we just look at summary data - 63 new birds plus some recaptures, lots of
species - then 5/14 looks just like 5/13.  But, on Tuesday, Amber and her crew
caught the birds in less than 3 hours, while our pace was a little more
leisurely.  There were likely fewer birds around by Wednesday, but they
remained active throughout the day.  We caught our last bird (a Wilson’s
Warbler) as we were finally getting closed about 2:30.

A third of the birds we caught were Hermit Thrushes.  This is the same species
that dominated the numbers when we had the freezing rain/snow last year, except
last year it was almost 2 weeks earlier.   We don’t normally catch very many
HETHs (the average for the 8 years prior to 2013 was 9; 2013 was 39 and 2014
will be slightly more than that), so I think we can assume it is a species that
normally passes us by except when forced down by a storm.  Don’t know what the
2 week difference means - either they come through over a period of time or
they are later this year.

The birds we caught seemed frisky, but they had almost no fat.  I’m guessing
they will be hanging around for a few days to gain the weight they need to
continue their migration.

The stars of the day were the 4 Violet-green Swallows.  We don’t catch swallows
very often (the insects they are after have to be flying just right - low and
over land.  And I think we fail to appreciate how truly gorgeous these birds
are because we are usually looking at them as they streak through the sky or
are perched really high on a telephone wire.  The many different shades of
green, violet and blue glisten in the sunlight (as brilliant as Hummers but
bigger), and their feathers are unbelievably soft.

Here’s the break-down of the 63 (21 species, which may be a record for number
of species in 1 day at Chatfield):

Least Flycatcher  1

Hammond’s Flycatcher  1

Dusky Flycather  4