Yesterday morning (July 7) I explored in the northwest corner of Park
County along County Road (CR) 64 and CR 68 in the Bailey region (plus some
spur roads), and into Jefferson Co. along CR 68 to Wellington Lake and
along some Pike NF roads for a bit near there.

Probably the best find was a female Blue Grosbeak in Park Co along CR 68 at
Craig Creek. She was on a wire along the road amid a flurry of busy
Brewer’s Blackbirds and I almost overlooked her. I had some nice looks
while she perched on the wire, then she flew off upstream and went down
into the extensive willows that are in the area.

A female Wild Turkey with 5 large young was along CR 64, while a female
Dusky Grouse with 4 mid-size young was along CR 68 (Jeffco). A small Great
Blue Heron rookery was along the North Fork of the South Platte immediately
downstream of Bailey, with at least 3 nests with large young and five other
nests that appeared empty. A Northern Goshawk flew along CR 68 in Jeffco.
Singleton Band-tailed Pigeons were at CR 64 in Park (calling) and CR 68 in
Jeffco.  Windy Peak Outdoor School in Jeffco along CR 68 had scads of
hummers coming to some feeders, including abundant Broad-taileds, several
Rufous, 1 Calliope and 1 Black-chinned.  A Lewis’s Woodpecker was in a
burned area along Pike NF Road 553. Red Crossbills were encountered in many
spots in Ponderosa pines (most identified as Type 2, several others I
didn’t hear or not well enough). 3 Evening Grosbeaks were in Park along CR
68, and 1 more was on the Jeffco side of the line.

Wellington Lake had 21 Ruddy Ducks, 1 Osprey, along with some Mallards and
Canada Geese and a Common Merg.

Driving down Pleasant Park Run and High Grade Road toward Ken Caryl from
Conifer I had 3 singing Ovenbirds along Pleasant Park Run (at spots I had
not checked earlier this year), and 3 were singing along High Grade (2
perhaps repeats previously noted, but one in a new spot). The Pleasant Park
Run were with Aspen, while the High Grade birds were in oak dominated areas
with nice understory.

David Suddjian

Littleton