Folks,

Rick Taylor, Aaron Driscoll, Mel and Jeanne Goff and I watched the Arctic Tern
today from about 11 a.m. til noon.  This is a beautiful alternate plumage,
adult bird with gray body, black cap, long tail and small, blood-red bill.  The
bird was actively feeding up and down the shores of Big Johnson Reservoir
occasionally resting with the gulls at the south and east ends.  I was able to
get some distance pictures showing the key features (structural and plumage) of
this long distance migrant.   I have read differing figures on the annual
migration distance of this bird, from 25,000 - 44,000 miles.  Incredible in any
case.

http://www.pbase.com/gwalbek/image/157316984

Glenn Walbek
Castle Rock, CO