From: "mar1...@juno.com" <mar1...@juno.com>
To: cobirds@googlegroups.com
Subject: [cobirds] Confusing dark dove, Pueblo West, Pueblo County
Date: Sun, 12 Apr 2015 01:15:13 GMT

Hi all,

I'm interested in comments about a strange-looking dark dove seen with Eurasian
Collared-Doves in my Pueblo West yard on March 26 and 27. I've loaded photos on
my Flickr page starting at:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/59865934@N00/16495006503/

Click right in the photo stream for two more photos. They are pretty bad, taken
through a low-powered scope with a point-and-shoot camera behind a double-paned
window in my kitchen. But perhaps some of you can see enough to make an
educated guess.

At first I thought it was a Mourning Dove but the closer shot taken the second
day showed a distinct collar. That and the eye color ruled out Mourning Dove.
The shape of the tail feathers is interesting, as is the very dark color.

I posted it on the CFO Facebook page and got a few comments. Some thought it
was oiled or sooty, some thought it was a collared-dove of one sort or other,
some thought it was a hybrid, but none had ever seen anything like it. I'm
still at a loss and would love to hear some insight from those of you who are
good at sorting out puzzles.

You may reply to the group or privately to mar1joy AT juno DOT com.

Cheers,
Margie Joy
Pueblo West, CO