Yesterday I had my museum group on an outing to Jackson SP/Res., which I rather
expected would be rather dull. Not so much! On our way into the park, we got
off to a great start with a lot of the usual suspects (meadowlarks, horned
larks, but no longspurs) plus a nice male harrier and a prairie merlin. Once in
the park, our acute restroom plans were thwarted (curses!) by a shutdown of the
visitor center restrooms by leak (pardon the mixed verbiage!), so we headed
down to the facilities by the marina. While there, we walked out onto the long
rock pier and scanned the lake. We found two loons, one of which was quickly
ID'd as a Pacific. The other was somewhat problematic, and we were viewing from
a considerable distance. However, in the end, we decided that the short
slightly upcurved bill eliminated the competition, and we called it (with a
decided lack of confidence) a red-throated. If anyone wanders out there, a
second opinion would be welcome. That is, however, my story, and for the moment
I'm stickin' to it.
The other area of particular interest was the inlet canal trail, where we had
flocks of white-crowned (alas, no white-throated or Harris's), American tree
and song sparrows, one late Lincoln's, and lots of juncos. There were 100+
waxwings and equally large numbers of robins working the junipers, a
kingfisher, a great horned owl, redwings and a smattering of ducks and coots.
The most interesting bird here was a very late solitary sandpiper. We also had
flyovers of two middlin' sized flocks of snow geese, totalling maybe a hundred
individuals.
While were making our unsuccessful restroom foray at the visitor center, a
fellow brought in a recently deceased (with no sign of the cause of said
deceasement) ferruginous hawk. While unfortunate, it gave us a terrific
opportunity to look at the plumage details of this magnificent raptor.

Norm Lewis
Lakewood

Sent from my iPad