Birders,

I found and photographed a Least Bittern today near John Martin Reservoir in Bent County. I hesitate to post directions, because of the likelihood of birders disrupting the bird. I used my car as a blind, and the bird was more or less oblivious to my presence, catching minnows, crawling up and over branches just above the water, and basking in the warm afternoon sun. For those interested, it was on the north side of Bent County Road JJ at the low spot west of Bent County Road 20, where water flows through culverts under the road. The bird was frequently within five feet of the submerged, moss-encrusted sign on the north side of the road. Please, PLEASE remain in your vehicle and don't use playback devices.

There's always something to complicate things. It is starting to get cold at night, and the pond where it's feeding is vulnerable to freezing. Thus, there's no guarantee it'll stick around.

I watched my feeders for much of the day, and didn't see the female-type Purple Finch today. While it's likely still around, I would prefer for people to try when there's a pattern of it showing up more regularly.

Duane Nelson
Las Animas, Bent County, CO