Way to go, Chris!

Doug Swartz and I did a Big Day by bike on the 14th as part of the Fort
Collins Audubon Society Birdathon. We well understand the challenges you
faced (we also had to deal with a tire puncture) and the rewards.

Doug and I purposefully limited ourselves to the Poudre River corridor in
order to bring attention to local efforts to get it designated by National
Audubon as an Important Bird Area. Our purpose-driven itinerary gave us a
good hook for Birdathon fundraising but being in essentially the same
habitat all day long limited our species count to 84. We also spent a long
time watching a mixed flock of 500-1000 swallows because we decided that
was more fun that trying to maximize our species count. But that meant we
were there when a Peregrine Falcon came. Watching a Peregrine hunt swallows
was just breathtaking!!! Aerial acrobatics at their best.

I echo your recommendation that people give Big Day by Bike a try!

John Shenot
Fort Collins, CO