One thing I noticed over the years is that this time of year the Grackle
flocks are mostly juvenile birds. All the grackles seem to leave the area
then in the fall the flocks arrive from who knows where, and are comprised
almost entirely of juvenile birds.  Are these grackles your seeing
juveniles?

Scott Rashid Estes Park

On Sun, 11 Sep 2016 21:07:12 -0600, Chip Clouse <chip.clo...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Harriman Lake in Jeffco had huge flocks of blackbirds coming in to roost
> this evening. The flock included at least 200 Common Grackles, 250
> Red-winged Blackbirds, 750 European Starlings, 33 Brewers Blackbirds
> (counted on the rocks at waters edge) and at least 1 Brown-headed
> Cowbird. My dog wouldnt let me stop long enough to do more than estimate
> on anything but the BRBLs that didnt flush as she dragged me along the
> trail.
>
> Chip Clouse
>  Lakewood
> On Sep 11, 2016 8:53 PM, "David Suddjian"  wrote:
> ON THE GRACKLE THEME, ON THE MORNING OF 9/10 I WATCHED AN ESTIMATED
2,500
> COMMON GRACKLES moving past St. Mary Catholic Church and Lee Gulch at
> South Prince Street in Littleton, Arapahoe Co. They were all going SE in
> a more or less steady stream of flocks over 45 min.
> The local breeders had departed some time ago, and Im sure these were
> part of a migratory movement. Most of them showed tail feathers in heavy
> molt. I did not see a similar movement at the same time period this
> morning, and these were much larger numbers that I happened to have seen
> over the St. Mary area in the past two Septembers.
> There is a rather large roost of migrants at this time of year SE and
> near C470 x Santa Fe (Douglas Co.), but that is about 2.5 miles south
and
> the wrong direction for the birds I saw passing on 9/10, plus that roost
> flies out shortly after sunrise, about 1.5 hours earlier than my
> observation on 9/10.
> David SuddjianKen Caryl ValleyLittleton, CO
> On Sun, Sep 11, 2016 at 4:07 PM, Charles Hundertmark  wrote:
> This afternoon, we had a large flock of Common Grackles in our front
yard
> - not a particularly exciting bird for list purposes, but an interesting
> phenomenon. For about a week or so now, I’ve been noting flocks of
> 100-200 grackles moving through the neighborhood. They are feeding
> vigorously and moving on quickly. Interestingly, many of them are
> molting. I’m wondering if the grackles undergo a molt migration in the
> fashion that Ted Floyd has so insightfully informed us about for
Chipping

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/81407853-9AEE-4453-BF8F-BE781DD4307E%40gmail.com

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/CAGj6RoqyJ-7pmmaQjFKABnuYWCZ5Qz4tzSaVgpd3Y7Zohnds5g%40mail.gmail.com

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/CAPHVJehmrWvBxcvWa4nRXU4f2AztVt4bMpxiVHnB62_WQaGtxQ%40mail.gmail.com