This afternoon, I spent some time in the back of my yard, looking for a
small song bird that I'd earlier seen up in the trees. That was probably a
House Finch, but the leaf litter below those trees was busy. Moving in
after a Spotted Towhee was a White-throated Sparrow, both scratching around
for bird seed. This was a new yard bird for me. And it's an especially
gratifying one, as the White-throated Sparrow is among my favorite birds
for all the singing it does in the woods around my wife's hometown in
northern Minnesota.

Around the yard: My first yard junco of the season stopped by this morning
and a scrub jay has been visiting, along with the magpies and Blue Jays, my
platform feeder for in-shell peanuts. (The scrub jay is now noisily
attacking the cruddy PetSmart suet that I recently purchased and that the
woodpeckers seem to be avoiding.) At one point, it seemed to me that a
magpie was dampening a peanut in my bird bath. At a minimum, it flew from
the platform feeder to the bird bath, put the peanut down in the bath, took
a few drinks, retrieved its food, then flew off. So perhaps it was only at
the water for a drink. I couldn't tell. I've seen crows soften food in
water, but not yet magpies.

- Jared Del Rosso
Centennial, CO