On Saturday, October 14, I woke early and went owling at Blackmer Lake in
Cherry Hills Village (Arapahoe). Through the darkness, I could see and hear
that the lake was packed with Canada Geese, mallards, and some other duck
that made a high pitched whine, though I don't think it was the high
pitched whine of a Wood Duck. I worked on my screech owl call as I walked,
getting a whole lot of nothing back at me most of the morning. Nearer to
sunrise, though, I heard a Great Horned and, soon after, a whinnying
screech.

I hung around the area until about 8:30, walking north on the High Line
toward Quincy Ave. It was very birdy where the canal meets the road. A
hundred or so robin passed over around sunrise, the three nuthatches
foraged and called, a Hermit Thrush, juncos, White-crowned Sparrows, and
towhees did their things in the brush. Closer to the lake, a series of
small conifers -- Ponderosa Pines, maybe -- had another dozen or so Pygmy
Nuthatches -- the most I've had in a west Arapahoe flock -- foraging
alongside Black-capped Chickadees and a flock of Bushtits. But by the time
I got back to the lake, it was empty. The geese had moved to the playing
fields; all were Canadas, I think. The ducks seemed to have gone somewhere
else.

Later that day, I took a cold, short walk through the wind at Willow Spring
Open Space in Centennial. A half-dozen Mountain Bluebirds -- perhaps the
same half dozen from the week prior -- worked the scrubby grasses and weeds
on the southern side of the dam.

On Sunday (10/15), my wife, dog, and I took a walk a bit before sunset
along the Big Dry Creek Trail near Cherry Knolls Park in Centennial. I
heard another Pygmy Nuthatch and we got to check out an enormous & menacing
Great Horned perched above the creek.

Even later on Sunday, I learned, through eBird, that a Steller's Jay had
been seen in the neighborhood around deKoevend Park on Saturday. This is a
bird I badly want for my local list (a 3 mile circle, centered near
deKoevend). Having missed a rare enough opportunity to get one so close to
my home stung enough to lead me to take a brief AM walk at deKoevend this
morning (10/16)  with my dog. I didn't bring my binoculars, assuming that I
could spot a Steller's without them and knowing that the binoculars usually
cause me to turn a mile walk into an hour long,
stand-around-and-stare-at-the-underbrush-while-the-dog-pulls-on-his-leash
affair. Without the binoculars, I managed a screech. And I'll spare you the
story of how I thought a Song Sparrow could have been, just might have
been, maybe was a Fox Sparrow. (It wasn't.)  An oddity was a group of
"diving" mallards. I got some video of them facing the current of the High
Line Canal (which is running fairly high) and dropping entirely under the
water before reemerging a few feet later. But no Steller's...bummer.

Back at home, I kept my feeder stocked with peanuts, mealworms, and
sunflower seeds today. The pecking order on the platform feeder seems to be
magpies, the lone visiting scrub jay, then Blue Jays. Collared Doves seem
to be able to hold their own with the jays. Once the peanuts are gone, the
House Finches, Red-breasted Nuthatches, and Black-capped Chickadees move
in. Two Lesser Goldfinches, the first I've seen visiting my feeders rather
than my flower garden, swung by. Then this one, which I spotted from my
kitchen window, as I cooked dinner.

<https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-D8-Cqs6U3fI/WeVyyemzicI/AAAAAAAANt8/lx_zOyc9ubQsX1HZvbPIylXC7G9mhR4UACLcBGAs/s1600/DSC_0175%2B%2BStellers.jpg>

- Jared Del Rosso
Centennial, CO