Norma,
According to eBird records, in May thru July, Pygmy Nuthatches are closely
tied to Ponderosa
Pines, in the foothills and mountains, extending east only along the Palmer
Divide.
There are no records in the Greeley area or east during May thru June, so
that sighting is remarkable. In fall and winter, a few may wander to the
plains, but still, there is only one record
for Greeley.
The farthest east sighting was at the Burlington Cemetery by Dec 20, 2007,
by Chris Wood, and I believe Glenn Walbek saw one in the same place. I
remember that pretty well, as I went there to look for it, only to majorly
dip.
I'd like to know more about the birds feeding on "a leafy branch".
Deciduous tree? Did he get
a good look, as Red-breasted Nuthatch would be more expected and is about
the same size.

Thanks for reporting this sighting.
Best regards to you and stay safe, Norma!

Joe Roller, Denver

PS Most of you know, but some may not, that avid birder, Norma Erickson,
was credited with discovering a well-known migrant trap in Weld County,
forever after known as "Norma's Grove".