Greetings, cobirders,

Two different friends have asked me about sparrows attacking nestlings
recently.

One Colorado Springs friend had House Finch nestlings, and a few birds (she
thinks sparrows) flew in and attacked the nest. She got a hose and chased
the sparrows off.

Now another friend, in Pueblo, has a sparrow that is continually menacing a
nest (she thinks perhaps Western Kingbirds). The sparrow attacks the nest,
the Kingbird flies out, and then my friend finds a nestling on the ground.
This has happened 3 times. The Kingbird had 5 nestlings, and 3 have been
(presumably) thrown out.

I'm guessing these are House Sparrows, and that they're tossing birds out
of the nest. Is this common behavior? What is the purpose?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Linda

Linda Hodges
Colorado Springs