From: cobirds@googlegroups.com <cobirds@googlegroups.com> on behalf of linda
hodges <hikerhod...@gmail.com>
Sent: Saturday, June 6, 2020 1:32 PM
To: Colorado Birds <cobirds@googlegroups.com>
Subject: [cobirds] Sparrows attacking nests, El Paso and Pueblo Counties

Greetings, cobirders,

Two different friends have asked me about sparrows attacking nestlings recently.

One Colorado Springs friend had House Finch nestlings, and a few birds (she
thinks sparrows) flew in and attacked the nest. She got a hose and chased the
sparrows off.

Now another friend, in Pueblo, has a sparrow that is continually menacing a
nest (she thinks perhaps Western Kingbirds). The sparrow attacks the nest, the
Kingbird flies out, and then my friend finds a nestling on the ground. This has
happened 3 times. The Kingbird had 5 nestlings, and 3 have been (presumably)
thrown out.

I'm guessing these are House Sparrows, and that they're tossing birds out of
the nest. Is this common behavior? What is the purpose?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Linda

Linda Hodges
Colorado Springs

cobirds+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com<mailto:cobirds+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com>.
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/42d95bc9-e180-4ad3-bd84-6740da92c7b1o%40googlegroups.com<https://nam04.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fgroups.google.com%2Fd%2Fmsgid%2Fcobirds%2F42d95bc9-e180-4ad3-bd84-6740da92c7b1o%2540googlegroups.com%3Futm_medium%3Demail%26utm_source%3Dfooter&data=02%7C01%7C%7C9f98297e0fb5427b2e8c08d80a505042%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637270687337126606&sdata=iEbXNGLAXR7dPan9tt%2FcoJYpebLLF2%2BJcvC7SLvGghk%3D&reserved=0>.