Hey COBirders,
I have been a little out of the ornithological and meteorological loops
recently, but someone egged me on to get back in with this upcoming storm.
Seriously, thanks for egging me on.  You know who you are.

*6am April 13th (Thursday morning; from the past; Green circle is Longmont
for reference)*
https://earth.nullschool.net/#2023/04/13/1200Z/wind/isobaric/850hPa/orthographic=-105.12,40.19,2811/loc=-105.120,40.191
On that map above, you can see the beginnings of stronger southwest winds
from the Southwest US toward CO.  Note the big river of stronger winds from
Texas is NOT making its way into CO.  This pattern only intensifies as the
day goes on and the mountains heat up...

*2pm April 13th (Thursday afternoon; from the past**; Green circle is
Longmont for reference**)*
https://earth.nullschool.net/#2023/04/13/2000Z/wind/isobaric/850hPa/orthographic=-105.12,40.19,2811/loc=-105.120,40.191
The pattern intensifies, and we stay connected to the SW U.S., not Texas
like can bring us the more "eastern" birds.  We are however set up to see
more Southwest specialties (Black-throated Sparrow and Black Phoebe, for
instance (and I am showing my northern CO bias)).  The main river of
strongest winds remains well to our east.  With the forecast frontal
passage and spring storm coming tomorrow (Apr 14th), some people have
speculated that we will see some good spring storm birds.  I think we
aren't as poised as we can be for a big "fallout" or "put down" in this
case.  Showing the same map again but with a different green circle
location:
https://earth.nullschool.net/#2023/04/13/2000Z/wind/isobaric/850hPa/orthographic=-105.12,40.19,2811/loc=-107.828,43.709
That green circle is the beginnings of the cold front that will pass
through us during the overnight hours (Apr 13th into 14th).

*10pm April 13th (Thursday night; maybe in the past depending on when you
read this)*
https://earth.nullschool.net/#2023/04/14/0400Z/wind/isobaric/850hPa/orthographic=-105.12,40.19,2811/loc=-105.175,42.271
Front is still up in Wyoming, and the leading edge is indicated by the
green circle where the winds are changing to a more northerly direction.
And most of CO is shutting down it's SW connection and getting ready for
the northerly connection.

*6am April 14th (Friday morning; green circle is Longmont)*
https://earth.nullschool.net/#2023/04/14/1200Z/wind/isobaric/850hPa/orthographic=-105.12,40.19,2811/loc=-105.120,40.191
The front is now through me in Longmont and is almost to Pueblo.  Frontal
passages can happen really fast through the state as seen here.  So now the
northern 2/3 of the state is cut off from migrants, but may have had some
southwestern migrants into the state that will now be somewhat desperate
for food in the morning.  I don't see any good concentration points
anywhere in the state.

*2pm April 14th (Friday afternoon; green circle is leading edge of the
front)*
https://earth.nullschool.net/#2023/04/14/2000Z/wind/isobaric/850hPa/orthographic=-107.28,39.51,2811/loc=-104.368,37.595
The connection to the Southwest U.S. that was present on Thursday, is now
no more anywhere in the state.

*10pm April 14th (Friday night; green circle is leading edge of stalling
front now in NM)*
https://earth.nullschool.net/#2023/04/15/0400Z/wind/isobaric/850hPa/orthographic=-107.28,39.51,2811/loc=-101.708,35.881
And now at 10pm, there are no good chances of spring migrants adding to the
mix during Friday overnight.  This also means that the birds that showed up
on Thursday night will likely still be around for the weekend birding rush.

So in summary, we will get migrants, they will likely have a southwestern
flavor to them, not an eastern flavor.  There aren't any particularly good
locations for bird convergence during this storm, but there are likely
birds out there that will be desperate for food tomorrow depending on
their food needs (think like Dave Leatherman) and will be likely easier to
find and might end up at your feeders or a local insect hotspot.

As usual, all data is good data, so let us know what happens on COBirds or
the CFO facebook group.

Hope this email gets you thinking and looking.  I wish you good birding
wherever that may be tomorrow.   May the migrants come to you.

Bryan

Bryan Guarente
Meteorologist/Instructional Designer
UCAR/The COMET Program