Very interesting discussion! Thank you Mr. Heinrich for initiating this!

My family and I lived near Paonia for 13 years (2004-2017) in Delta County.
My list is all historical information since I moved to Wyoming. We owned 10
acres that crossed the North Fork of the Gunnison River at the northwest
corner of the property at approximately 5500' elevation. Lots of large
cottonwood trees (narrowleaf, Fremont, and hybrids) and dense understory of
buffalo berry, box elder, willow etc along the river. Also, a small marsh
and beaver pond where we saw River Otters a couple times. I received a
grant to plant one acre of shrubs along the river which was fun to watch
grow during the years we were there.

Dedicated birding
192 species
Lots of favorites and some rare (in order most recent to oldest):

Favorite: We managed a profitable small farm (everything we grew was
legal!) with five greenhouses that we built ourselves named Rain Crow Farm
after the Yellow-billed Cuckoo. We heard and saw cuckoos frequently during
the summer months and I eventually was able to start a small project when I
worked for Rocky Mountain Bird Observatory/Bird Conservancy of the Rockies
conducting surveys on the west slope of Colorado. We were lucky to confirm
breeding near Hotchkiss and found an active nest in 2008. The species was
listed as "threatened" by the USFWS west of the continental divide in 2014.

Rare or unusual species list:
Magnolia Warbler
Common Ground Dove (6th state record)
Nashville Warbler
Black Phoebe
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker
Long-billed Curlew
Bohemian Waxwing (irruption winter of 2013)
Common Redpoll (irruption winter of 2012)
American Goshawk
Canada Jay (unusual away from spruce-fir habitat)
Indigo Bunting
White-winged Dove
Northern Pygmy-Owl
Black-and-white Warbler
Eastern Bluebird
Juniper Titmouse (lots of PJ nearby)
Willow Flycatcher
Gray Flycatcher
Yellow-throated Vireo
Black-throated Gray Warbler
Sage Thrasher
Harris's Sparrow
Virginia Rail
Pinyon Jay
Rose-breasted Grosbeak
Cassin's Vireo
Purple Martin (breed on Grand Mesa nearby)
Black Swift
Brown-capped Rosy-Finch
American Dipper
Bewick's Wren
Black-crowned Night Heron
Bobolink
Lark Bunting
Gray-crowned Rosy-Finch
White-throated Sparrow
Pygmy Nuthatch
Swamp Sparrow
American Redstart
Dickcissel (not sure how many west slope records there are but one was
singing a couple days in June of 2006 near our pasture)
Band-tailed Pigeon (flocks would fly over the river often)
Green Heron
Lewis's Woodpecker (not at all rare in this area, bred in my front yard
most years we were there)
Olive-sided Flycatcher
Barn Owl
Ash-throated Flycatcher

Mammals: Mountain Lion (killed a couple of our goats and I saw one once
while birding along the river), River Otter, Mink, Black Bear (killed many
of our and neighbors chickens)

Most memorable experience?
Seeing and hearing a Vaux's Swift on 5/3/2007 near the river. No photo or
recording was obtained so the record was not accepted by CBRC.

Good Birding!
Jason Beason
(Currently in Lander, WY where my yard list is up to 129 species!)