On Wed, Apr 29, 2020 at 08:40:10PM +0200, Markus Elfring wrote:
> > I am trying to exit spatch with a non-zero exit status when required
> > changes have been found.
>
> I got used to the interpretation that a zero exit status
> should indicate a successful execution of the program.

I agree, but I guess what successful execution means is a matter of
perspective. For example, grep returns a non-zero exit status when it
doesn't match anything. Yet, I generally consider that a successful
execution when I use grep.

> >   @finalize:python@
> >   @@
> >   exit(cnt)
> >
> > where cnt is incremented by another Python rule everytime a required
> > change is found.
>
> I suggest to handle the desired search result counter
> by an other data processing interface.
> How would you like to treat program execution failures otherwise?

I'm trying to run SmPL programs as part of a CI pipeline, so execution
failure and (buggy) code pattern not found really mean the same in
the end: a human needs to take a look :-)

I understand that is not a common use case and I'm fine using a
workaround. Just wanted to check I wasn't missing something obvious.

Cheers,
Paul