I use barItem extensively. But after "Quitting iTunes" and leaving it be for a while, I clicked it and it did go to the other menu. But it wasn't instantaneous and it seems to be stalling after a while. Also, how can I set it so that instead of text it is a 16x16 image?
I think I figured out why my change isn't instantaneous like I was complaining before. I have a subclassed menuWillOpen: which updates my data upon open. Maybe I need to rework my code. Is there any if statement that could get me around this code problem?

I'm not sure how anybody can make any useful recommendations without posting your code. The problem exists because of your approach, so without actually *seeing* your approach, nobody here can suggest a solution. ;-)

  Just post the stuff that deals with your menu.

--
I.S.