On Feb 25, 2008, at 15:12, glenn andreas wrote:

And it actually hints to the contrary, since -tableColumns is document to include the hidden columns as well (and doesn't say if they are at the end or in the middle)

I just tried it, and the column numbers seem to match up with the array indexes even when a column is hidden.

By adapting the practice of using the column identifier, not only do you get past this problem, you won't have any problem if you allow the user to re-order columns.

I would if I could, but I'm subclassing NSTableColumn and I can't really assume that an instance either has an identifier, or has a unique identifier, and either of those cases will make columnWithIdentifier unreliable. (I'm trying to have the column get its index so that it can call rectForColumn.)