On 3 mar 2008, at 20.43, Steven Degutis wrote:

Perhaps a small application like relaunch.app could be imbedded into
your relaunchable application, where all it pretty much does is serve
as a buffer by relaunching your application reliably (through Cocoa
methods) after your app calls it the same way you mentioned above.

[[NSWorkspace sharedWorkspace] launchApplication:relauncherExecutablePath];
[NSApp terminate:self];

Sure, that's a reasonable scenario.

Then the relaunch.app program uses a method which calls itself
continuously (like a loop that wont make your app unresponsive), which
does a check to see if the original app is still running using
NSWorkspace's -launchedApplications, and only after it sees your app
end, then it will run the app again and terminate itself. This ensures
that your app opens only after it ends first. And doing this would be
quite easy, using two methods, -awakeFromNib and your custom method
-hasAppEnded. The former would launch the second one immediately, and
do nothing else, and the second one would do the check, and at the
end, if it is still running (hasnt quit and run the new app) it would
launch itself with [self performSelector:@selector(hasAppEnded)
withObject:nil afterDelay:1.0]; or something. This is what I would do
anyway. 1.0 might be too long or too short for a real application,
though.

I think I find Sparkle's way of doing this more elegant (you don't have a loop, but listen for notifications - if the original process has not already terminated).
http://code.andymatuschak.org/sparkle/trunk/relaunch.m