If I use a rounded textured segmented control (the type finder uses in its toolbar of the windows to switch between column, browser view etc.) and fill a segment with one of the new template images like NSListViewTemplate, then when that segment is selected the image is nicely inverted. However if I fill it with one of my own icons (a transparent tiff file) this doesn't happen. I couldn't find a place to specify an alternate image, does the image needs to have a certain type/criteria to get this behaviour? I couldn't find the actual location of the file that is referenced from NSListViewTemplate on my disk so I could inspect it.

Have you read the documentation regarding template images? The file name needs to end in the word "Template" to be automatically recognized as such or you need to implicitly tell your NSImage instance that it's a template.

--
I.S.