On Mar 10, 2008, at 3:03 PM, Jeff LaMarche wrote:

On Mar 10, 2008, at 2:54 PM, John Stiles wrote:

In general this is excellent advice, but I believe ImageMagick is not a Mac program but an X11 thing.

ImageMagick has some X11 components, but can be compiled as a set of unix command line programs that will perform various operations on images. I assume that somebody wanting access to that functionality would care more about that part, then whether the front-end stuff is there. Maybe I don't understand what the OP is trying to do, but my guess is that he wants to leverage some of it's transformation abilities.

Personally, since NSImage and associated classes are so robust, I'd advise against it, but you could identify if it's installed by having your code execute

whereis convert

and parsing the results - if it's an empty string, it couldn't find it. You might want to manually add the common locations (/usr/bin / usr/local/bin) to the path environment variable just to be sure.

But, seriously, In wonder what the OP wants to do that can't be done more easily with NSImage...

ImageMagick supports far more image operations and image formats than NSImage, so that's a pretty good reason to want to use it. I would agree that in cases where NSImage does happen to support whatever you want to do then that may be a better way to go. _______________________________________________