Frankly, if it's just a table of 100,000 NSNumbers pointing to
8-character strings, CoreData seems a little excessive to me.

:) The file system is excellent at something this straight forward.

The table can live in RAM and it shouldn't cause any problem.

Well if we're really serious, one could just use a memory mapped file where the user's input (after bounds checking) is just an index into the VM space. If the weather codes are variable length strings, then the zip code index records the offset into the file after the end of the zip code section.

More or less what Jens suggested.
--

-Ben