Michael Ash wrote:
On Fri, Mar 21, 2008 at 12:13 PM, John Stiles <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
 Michael Ash wrote:
 For what it's worth, I wrote a quick test program creating 50,000
random key/value pairs of NSStrings of around 500 characters each,
then inserted them into an NSDictionary. My quick code compiled with
no optimizations took 200 milliseconds to insert all 50,000 strings
into an NSMutableDictionary. This is admittedly on a much faster
machine (a 2.66GHz Mac Pro) and your objects may have been
substantially more complex to hash or compare, but the above does not
build a convincing case for the STL option in my mind.
 You're only comparing apples and oranges if you don't port your test code
to STL and test it yourself.
 There's simply no such thing as a fair comparison between a G4 running on
battery power and an Intel Xeon.

I never claimed otherwise. I simply find it odd when people act as
though good performance on tens of thousands of records were somehow
exceptional or difficult. It was such once upon a time, but with
modern CPUs and good data structures easily available in libraries, it
really isn't anymore.

But just for fun, I implemented a std::map version of my test as well.
Both versions take somewhat under 200ms, with the differences between
them completely overwhelmed by per-run variances.

The lesson here, as usual, is to Optimize Later. Use what produces the
best code and what you're most comfortable with. For me that means
staying far, far away from the STL. For others it may mean using
ObjC++ and the STL over Cocoa collection classes. But choosing one
over the other for speed when you don't have working code yet is
putting the cart before the horse.
It's fine that you are uncomfortable with STL, but there's nothing about your results that makes me think "this doesn't build a convincing case for the STL option." If its performance is on par, then it's a highly convincing case. std::map actually does more than NSDictionary—it sorts its entries instead of keeping them in random order. Also, it copies its keys instead of just keeping a reference to them, which is also more work—it would be a much fairer test if you used std::string* pointers for your keys and values instead of std::string objects, but it'd also be a little more work since you'd need a custom comparator and you'd need to consider memory management (which boost smart pointers apparently can manage pretty well).

YMMV, but I like the capabilities of the STL and I think it's a pretty powerful tool to have in one's toolbox. Not that I think you should be forced to use it—feel free to use Foundation classes if you like them better—but don't let bias stand in the way of reasonable comparisons.