On Mar 17, 2008, at 7:53 AM, Luca Ciciriello wrote:

Yes, you got it. .h stands for "header" and is the place where you make your declarations, .m stands for "module" and is where the definitions take place.

You can encounter also .mm exetension. In these file you can mix Objective-C an C++ language.

I would recommend that you find a nice book on C. I would recommend one, but it's been a while since I've surveyed the literature.

The C derived languages (with those most relevant to Macintosh programming being, C, C++, Objective-C, and Objective-C++) tend to separate your code into two parts. The first is the active part of your program, that part which "does things". This code is placed into a file whose extension depends on the language you are using. As Luca points out ".c" is for C source code. ".m" is for Objective-C source code. C++ source is usually found in a file ending either in ".cp" or ".cpp". And Objective-C++ code uses ".mm".

The header, or ".h" file doesn't typically contain active code. Instead, it usually contains some kind of description of the code that is found in the corresponding source code file. The description lets other part of your program know what functionality can be found in the source code file.

To sum up, the source code file defines what your program can do, and how it can do it. The header file declares what's available and you you invoke it.

Scott