Anyone know how best to use multiple NSTextCell subclasses, in a table/ outline column?

When I use the dataCell... methods in NSTableColumn, NSTableView, or NSOutlineView, it works great until I try to edit the cell, at which point the cells never receive the edit/select actions. I've tried lots of things but can't figure out what's happening, nor a better why to do this overall.

In other words:

When I use the dataCellForTableColumn method, my table does display the different textcell subclasses returned. But when I send the table/ outline [self editColumn:1 row:[self selectedRow] withEvent:theEvent select:YES] message it seems to get lost -- my specified cells don't receive an editWithFrame/selectWithFrame action. If I remove this method and only use one cell class in the column, it works as expected.

- (NSCell *)outlineView:(NSOutlineView *)outlineView dataCellForTableColumn:(NSTableColumn *)tableColumn item:(id)item {

        if ([item isKindOfClass:[Project class]]) return projectTextCell;
        if ([item isKindOfClass:[Action class]]) return actionTextCell;
        if ([item isKindOfClass:[Item class]]) return itemTextCell;
        if ([item isKindOfClass:[Note class]]) return noteTextCell;

        return nil;
}

The point of this is to breakout my cell designs for efficiency and comprehension. But so far it's just making me nuts. ;-).

Any suggestions??

--

Hans Hansen
Midnight Beep Softworks