So, I seem to be having a problem with the following code, and I think I've traced it to how the messages are nested; but I cannot seem to solve it. Consider the following code, which works without warnings (self.sequent is an NSArray):

        DeductionLine *dl1 = [self.sequent objectAtIndex:lineCount-1];
        Justification *j1 = [dl1 justification];
        NSString *rule1 = [j1 rule];

But the following line generates a warning: NSString may not respond to -rule.

NSString *rule2 = [[[self.sequent objectAtIndex:lineCount-1] justification] rule];

I'm confused about the warning, because [[self.sequent objectAtIndex:lineCount-1] justification] returns type Justification, not NSString. Both examples compile and work; but the warning is in the second case only. Why, and how can I get rid of the warning? Any help would be appreciated. (I think I've included everything necessary to diagnose the problem; please let me know if I haven't; all of this is under Objective-C 2.0 with @synthesize sequent in DeductionLine.)