Thanks for your help; that change did clear up the warning. I want to make sure I understand your explanation though: How is [self.sequent objectAtIndex:lineCount-1] of type "id" as opposed to of type "DeductionLine" (since self.sequent is an NSArray of DeductionLine objects)? Is it that at compilation time, the compiler does not know what sort of object [self.sequent objectAtIndex:lineCount-1] is - but at runtime it turns out to be of type DeductionLine and so that's why everything runs smoothly? But when there is the explicit cast accomplished by (DeductionLine *), the compiler then knows what sort of object [self.sequent objectAtIndex:lineCount-1] is?

When you say the compiler doesn't know which "justification" is going to apply - I take it this is because the Justification object has a justification method. How is it confused, since the class name begins with a capital, and the method begins with a miniscule? Thanks again.